From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: yngwin@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Reusing systemd unit file format / forking systemd (was: Going against co-maintainer's wishes (ref. bug 412697))
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 07:50:26
1 On Sun, 26 May 2013 00:14:36 +0800
2 Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Systemd is diametrically opposed to the FreeBSD, customization,
5 > extreme configurability, and top-notch developer community aspects of
6 > that. Systemd upstream developers have made it abundantly clear they
7 > are not interested in working with Gentoo developers to see to the
8 > needs of source-based distros. They stand for vertical integration
9 > instead of customization and configurability.
10 >
11 > And you misunderstood: it is systemd that is aggressively opposed to
12 > Gentoo. But apparently that doesn't bother some of our developers and
13 > Gentoo is becoming more and more welcoming to it.
14
15 By the way, we should really keep the separation between systemd itself
16 and the unit files. I agree that systemd is not the best thing we could
17 have. But the unit file format is, er, good enough -- and has
18 the advantage of eventually taking a lot of work from our shoulders.
19
20 Although some of the ideas (esp. wrt targets) are near to crazy
21 and awfully hard to understand, that's what we have and trying to do
22 something else is eventually going to make people's lives harder.
23
24 We should *really* work on supporting the unit files within OpenRC
25 (aside to init.d files). That's a way to at least:
26
27 a) reuse the work that has been done upstream already (when it was
28 done),
29
30 b) have common service names and startup behavior in all relevant
31 distros (which is really beneficial to the users).
32
33 Considering the design of OpenRC itself, it wouldn't be *that hard*.
34 Actually, a method similar to one used in oldnet would simply work.
35 That is, symlinking init.d files to a common 'systemd-wrapper'
36 executable which would parse the unit files.
39 On the completely different topic, I agree that systemd design is far
40 from the best and the way it's maintained is just bad. I was interested
41 in the past in creating an improved alternative using compatible file
42 format and libraries, while choosing a better design, improving
43 portability and keeping stuff less integrated.
44
45 But the fact is -- I doubt it will make sense, much like the eudev
46 project. And it will take much more work, and give much less
47 appreciation.
48
49 First of all, working on it will require a lot of work. Seeing how
50 large systemd become and how rapidly it is developing, establishing
51 a good alternative (even dropping such useless parts as the Journal)
52 will take at least twice that work.
53
54 Then, it will require people working on it. People who know the details
55 of various systems and who are willing to spend their time on it.
56 And there wouldn't be much of people really willing to work on it.
57
58 The systemd haters will refuse the project because of its resemblance
59 to systemd. The systemd lovers will refuse it because of its
60 resemblance to systemd. And the OpenRC lovers will want to design it
61 to resemble OpenRC which is just pointless. Then the few remaining
62 people will find systemd 'good enough'.
63
64 And even if there are a few people who will want to work on it,
65 and design a 'good systemd', they wouldn't get much appreciation.
66 Fedora definitely won't care for it. It would have to be really
67 definitely awesome for most Linux distros to even notice it.
68 And I doubt *BSD people would be interested in something external.
69
70 It is possible that systemd upstream will steal a few patches or ideas
71 from it. Yet they will never apply any of the really important changes,
72 so the project will have to be maintained indefinitely. The only hope
73 for it would be to win over systemd users which I doubt will happen.
74
75 So there's a lot of work, no fame or money in it, and most likely more
76 work being the only future. Anyone volunteering?
79 Best regards,
80 Michał Górny