From: Daniel Black <dragonheart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making dobin, doexe die by default and doins, doman, dodoc warn initially
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 00:23:44
1 On Thursday 13 July 2006 07:36, Steve Dibb wrote:
2 > Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 11:11:01PM +0200, Jakub Moc wrote:
4 > >> Uh... Sorry but it's pretty hard to imagine something more annoying than
5 > >> an ebuild that dies after a couple of hours compile just because
6 > >> upstream decided to rename Changelog.txt to ChangeLog.txt and noone
7 > >> noticed during version bump, or because someone made a typo there. Fail
8 > >> to see any benefit from this... :S Ditto for manpages.
9 > >
10 > > How could that slip through the initial testing of the ebuild
11 > > performed by the developer doing the version bump?
12 >
13 > Well, it could happen while testing an ebuild. :) I'd be pretty ticked
14 > if I were testing Qt and I didn't realize they did change the doc files
15 > around before doing a test run.
16
17 there is always,
18
19 1. oh golly I made a mistake
20 2. rm -rf /var/tmp/portage/{package}/image
21 3. (vi|emacs|nano) {package}.ebuild
22 4. FEATURES="noauto" ebuild {package}.ebuild install
23 5. victory
24
25 sure the may be some packages that don't like going through an install twice
26 but I'd hope most of the bigger ones would oblige happily.
27
28 A FEATURE like dowarn as an alternate to what John Myers said maybe be good
29 for the time conscious dev.
30
31 > Besides that though, imho, a simple function with a boolean return type
32 > shouldn't kill the script executing it. Throw a warning, yes, but not
33 > stop everything.
34 >
35 > Steve
36
37 As a general implementation strategy I think portage should
38 initially:
39 die on dobin, doexe
40
41 warn on
42 doins, doman, doexe
43
44 After the QA stuff is fixed in the tree, and the general feeling that mass
45 hysteria won't break out because of it, change the warns to a die.
46
47 ECLASSES
48
49 if these use doins/man/doc then the should probably check them before
50 installing:
51 [ -f ${doc} ] && dodoc ${doc}
56 Daniel Black <dragonheart@g.o>
57 Gentoo Crypto/dev-embedded/Forensics/NetMon