From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Council meeting summary for 10 July 2008
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:37:38
1 On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:16:23 -0700
4 > "Alec Warner" <antarus@g.o> wrote:
5 >> As far as could be determined by the members at the meeting there no
6 >> compelling examples in Gentoo who to change or add global scope
7 >> functions in future EAPIs. As such those problems as stated are not
8 >> in scope for Gentoo because Gentoo is not attempting to do those
9 >> things at this time.
10 >
11 > You mean you don't want per-category/package eclasses, or eclasses that
12 > can indicate that they only work with some EAPIs, or eclasses that can
13 > indicate that they're being used incorrectly, or the death of
14 > EXPORT_FUNCTIONS? All of these have been discussed as desirable future
15 > extensions.
16
17 I don't require any of those things, but maybe other people do and If
18 so; they should probably come
19 to the meeting or otherwise make themselves known because they were
20 not at the previous meeting.
21
22 The GLEP as written is not convincing; it doesn't say 'I am trying to
23 do X with Gentoo and cannot because of this
24 restriction.' It says 'In the future someone may want to do X and
25 they won't be able to because of this restriction so lets
26 try to remove the restriction now.' This is an admirable goal mind
27 you; but it is my opinion that there are more concrete features
28 that we could implement for benefits now rather than talk about what could be.
29
30 I chatted briefly with peper on IRC about this (as he was the original
31 GLEP author) so when he gets time he said he had some examples to
32 provide.
35 > --
36 > Ciaran McCreesh
39 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list