From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo's plan to remove .la files: wording about when and how to drop .la files
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:31:54
1 El dom, 31-10-2010 a las 14:56 +0100, Diego Elio Pettenò escribió:
2 > Il giorno dom, 31/10/2010 alle 03.30 -0100, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
3 > ha scritto:
4 > > As agreed in the meeting, as a first draft, we have that "the motion
5 > > is
6 > > to drop la files, when appropriate, through the use of a function in
7 > > eutils that will only be called if the static-libs use flag is not set
8 > > or unless the package relies on pkg-config".
9 >
10 > Let's differentiate already:
11 >
12 > For *plugin* .la files, they should removed if the software is not
13 > relying on them to load its plugins, see [1]. This is the case for PAM,
14 > Python, Ruby and I guess Perl, which commonly receive stupid .la files
15 > in their paths. Repeat after me: they should just all be deleted _right
16 > now_ since they are not going to be linked by anyone else and thus
17 > Portage 2.1.9 is not making any difference.
20 In that case, I think the work on these cases should start as soon as
21 possible, but I think that getting bugs reported (probably from your
22 next tinderbox run if possible) would help. For example, I have just
23 seen in my system that packages like dev-python/pyorbit and
24 dev-libs/libgamin are installing these .la files that should not be
25 needed, but I am sure lots of other python packages are also
26 affected :-/.
27
28 But I would also like to know what would be the best way to drop them in
29 these cases:
30 - For python, looks like calling python_clean_installation_image from
31 python.eclass at src_install phase is the proper way.
32 - For pam, ruby or perl I have no idea :-(
33
34 Thanks