From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo's plan to remove .la files: wording about when and how to drop .la files
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:56:51
1 Il giorno dom, 31/10/2010 alle 03.30 -0100, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
2 ha scritto:
3 > As agreed in the meeting, as a first draft, we have that "the motion
4 > is
5 > to drop la files, when appropriate, through the use of a function in
6 > eutils that will only be called if the static-libs use flag is not set
7 > or unless the package relies on pkg-config".
8
9 Let's differentiate already:
10
11 For *plugin* .la files, they should removed if the software is not
12 relying on them to load its plugins, see [1]. This is the case for PAM,
13 Python, Ruby and I guess Perl, which commonly receive stupid .la files
14 in their paths. Repeat after me: they should just all be deleted _right
15 now_ since they are not going to be linked by anyone else and thus
16 Portage 2.1.9 is not making any difference.
17
18 For *libraries* .la files, they should removed if:
19
20 - you are not building any static archive at all (and this should
21 happen almost every time the library provides a plugin interface as the
22 plugins wouldn't work with a statically-linked archive);
23 - the official way to link to the library is pkg-config or some other
24 -config package;
25 - the package started as, or is evolving into, a non-autotools-based
26 package (most of X11 falls into this line since they started with imake
27 and that one never produced .la files so nobody should be relying on
28 them);
29 - the library depends on no other library at all (so there are no
30 dependencies to cater);
31 - finally, if USE=static-libs is set
32
33 Do note that static-libs USE flag causing the removal is the _least_
34 common case, quite very likely, you're going to stop at the second line
35 in my list and then delete the files. It's similar to what I wrote on
36 [2], by the way.
39 [1]
40 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/07/06/identifying-pointless-la-files-for-plugins
41 [2]
42 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/09/28/removing-la-files-for-dum-w-uncertain-people
43 --
44 Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
45 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
46
47 If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
48 it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/