From: Brad Laue <brad@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FORK: The Time Is Now
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:09:42
1 Matt Thrailkill wrote:
2 > Why do all these spinoff companies keep getting made to work on what is
3 > supposed to be a meta-distribution? Why can't it all be kept unified
4 > under one umbrella?
5 >
6 > Why did you have to fork and found a company to target embedded and
7 > enterprise users and developers?
8
9 You hit the nail right on the head. The ability to base a product or
10 project on Gentoo technologies is in my opinion one of the greatest
11 strengths of Gentoo being a metadistribution. I could form umpteen
12 business ventures and create products based upon Gentoo technologies
13 because *that is what the infrastructure is precisely meant for*.
14
15 Look at gentoogames, and how well it demonstrates that Gentoo can do
16 more than just be a Linux distribution.
17
18 A fork is just a way to put your name on it. I've been around BSD
19 developers too long not to know it's about clashing ego.
20
21 Brad
24 // -- http://www.BRAD-X.com/ -- //
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list