From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 07:52:14
1 On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 1:25 AM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >>> As I posted elsewhere, working on a project based on "hate" only lasts
4 >>> so long. I should know, that's the reason I started udev in the first
5 >>> place over 9 years ago.
6 >>
7 >> The Xfree86 people generated a lot of hate, just like Sievers and
8 >> Poettering. Xorg hasn't burned out yet.
9 >
10 > Let's be fair. The Xorg fork was done by a lot of really competent
11 > professional developers who had been developing XFree86 for a long
12 > time.
13
14 And it was made because it had become almost impossible to work with
15 the main developer of XFree86; not because of hate, but by very clear
16 and valid technical reasons The systemd+udev project instead has code
17 contributed by every major Linux distribution, and many small ones.
18 Even Ubuntu hasn't talked about forking udev, and they keep sending
19 patches, even with their staunch commitment to Upstart. This is what a
20 developer from Arch Linux (which has just made the decision to move to
21 systemd) has to say about it:
22
23 "... systemd is a cross-distro project: every major and many, many
24 minor distros have had people contributing to systemd. last i heard
25 even two debian devs have commit access to the repo, among many
26 others. systemd upstream is very accommodating of different needs and
27 different use-cases (as long as they are presented on technical
28 grounds) and have been a pleasure to work with so far. We are getting
29 the joint experience of a lot of people/projects who have worked on
30 different init systems for a long time, I think this is one of the
31 most important "features" one could have."
32
33 https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1149530#p1149530
34
35 Seeing some people comparing udev to XFree86 is one of the more
36 bizarre things coming out from this fork, and that's saying. However,
37 I agree with Doug that anyone should code whatever they want to code.
38 Who knows, maybe something interesting would come off from this fork,
39 and it certainly doesn't affect us happy Gentoo+systemd+udev users.
40
41 Regards.
42 --
43 Canek Peláez Valdés