From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automatic Bug Assignment
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 09:37:03
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 02/05/2016 03:47 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Kent Fredric
6 > <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> On 6 February 2016 at 07:19, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
8 >> wrote:
9 >>> 'd be all for automated bug assignment. Usually when this
10 >>> comes up a bunch of hero bug wranglers step up and say it isn't
11 >>> needed, because we have hero bug wranglers. As long as people
12 >>> keep stepping up to do that I'm not going to tell them that
13 >>> they can't. However, if the bug queue ever does go out of
14 >>> control I'd be all for just auto-assigning them. If they
15 >>> rarely get assigned to the wrong people, then they can just
16 >>> reassign them. And nothing stops us from having a bugzilla
17 >>> query for "new bugs filed in last 24h" for people who want to
18 >>> take a quick look at recent bugs for trends or to help clean
19 >>> them up across projects.
22 >> Hm, or alternatively, you could have a scheme where things
23 >> defaulted in the bug queue, and were auto-assigned where possible
24 >> after no feedback for a time, or maybe it would be defaulted only
25 >> when the queue is over a certain size.
28 > That was my thought around having a query for bugs filed in the
29 > last 24h. Basically they'd be auto-assigned, but people could
30 > choose to review recent bugs to see if any were mis-assigned, and
31 > no action is necessary if they're OK.
32 >
33 > The main problem I see with auto-assignment is that some asignees
34 > end up being black holes for bugs. If two active devs get their
35 > bugs crossed it isn't a big deal since they'll just reassign them
36 > to each other. If an active dev gets their bug assigned to an
37 > inactive dev, they might never hear about it.
40 As an alternative to bug assignment, which does carry the risk of
41 "black holes," what about automatic bug CC'ing? That gives the likely
42 party the heads up, and if they don't take it, wranglers take over and
43 determine what to do with it. This gives us some degree of automation
44 (automatic notification, but not sorting), and leaves in the space for
45 the wranglers, who I believe are important to getting things where
46 they need to be effectively.
47
48 - --
49 NP-Hardass