From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automatic Bug Assignment
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 20:48:08
1 On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 6 February 2016 at 07:19, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> 'd be all for automated bug assignment. Usually when this comes up a
4 >> bunch of hero bug wranglers step up and say it isn't needed, because
5 >> we have hero bug wranglers. As long as people keep stepping up to do
6 >> that I'm not going to tell them that they can't. However, if the bug
7 >> queue ever does go out of control I'd be all for just auto-assigning
8 >> them. If they rarely get assigned to the wrong people, then they can
9 >> just reassign them. And nothing stops us from having a bugzilla query
10 >> for "new bugs filed in last 24h" for people who want to take a quick
11 >> look at recent bugs for trends or to help clean them up across
12 >> projects.
15 > Hm, or alternatively, you could have a scheme where things defaulted
16 > in the bug queue, and were auto-assigned where possible after no
17 > feedback for a time, or maybe it would be defaulted only when the
18 > queue is over a certain size.
21 That was my thought around having a query for bugs filed in the last
22 24h. Basically they'd be auto-assigned, but people could choose to
23 review recent bugs to see if any were mis-assigned, and no action is
24 necessary if they're OK.
25
26 The main problem I see with auto-assignment is that some asignees end
27 up being black holes for bugs. If two active devs get their bugs
28 crossed it isn't a big deal since they'll just reassign them to each
29 other. If an active dev gets their bug assigned to an inactive dev,
30 they might never hear about it.
33 Rich