From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 03:43:17
1 On 07/09/2017 06:53 AM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 00:42:46 -0700
3 > Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >>> - Sets used in profiles cannot have use expansion, versions or
6 >>> anything beyond cat/pkg.
7 >> This would break some set behavior, at least in Portage. Specifying a
8 >> single version (or better, a slot) in a set is less work than adding
9 >> lines to p.mask *and* the set file(s), and p.mask doesn't appear to
10 >> support "!=cat/pkg-1.0" syntax to mimic the same functionality
11 >> achieved by a versioned atom in a set. It also makes sense to put
12 >> packages you want in a set instead of a mask. ">=" or "<=" may be
13 >> adequate if you only want one slot or version installed, but the
14 >> entire point of slots is to allow multiple versions to be installed
15 >> simultaneously. Versioned package names in sets achieve this.
16 >
17 > Valid point, and along those lines to make the rules for sets in
18 > profiles easier.
19 >
20 > - Sets in profiles can contain anything that is valid in a
21 > profile/packages file, less the * symbol.
22 >
23 > I think that addresses both versions and slots. The rest, like use
24 > expansion I believe is handled via package.use in profiles and not in
25 > packages.
28 Yeah, that could work. As convenient as it is to mix USE flags with
29 sets, there's a better place to put it and I'm unsure of any situation
30 that would require more than two lines (one in the set, one in p.use) to
31 achieve a given USE constraint.
34 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
35 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
36 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6