From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 13:53:09
1 On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 00:42:46 -0700
2 Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > - Sets used in profiles cannot have use expansion, versions or
5 > > anything beyond cat/pkg.
6 > This would break some set behavior, at least in Portage. Specifying a
7 > single version (or better, a slot) in a set is less work than adding
8 > lines to p.mask *and* the set file(s), and p.mask doesn't appear to
9 > support "!=cat/pkg-1.0" syntax to mimic the same functionality
10 > achieved by a versioned atom in a set. It also makes sense to put
11 > packages you want in a set instead of a mask. ">=" or "<=" may be
12 > adequate if you only want one slot or version installed, but the
13 > entire point of slots is to allow multiple versions to be installed
14 > simultaneously. Versioned package names in sets achieve this.
15
16 Valid point, and along those lines to make the rules for sets in
17 profiles easier.
18
19 - Sets in profiles can contain anything that is valid in a
20 profile/packages file, less the * symbol.
21
22 I think that addresses both versions and slots. The rest, like use
23 expansion I believe is handled via package.use in profiles and not in
24 packages.
27 William L. Thomson Jr.