From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] systemd.eclass: Patch for new function systemd_get_udevdir()
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 18:29:39
1 On 06-08-2012 11:16:52 -0700, Olivier Crête wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 13:56 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > While OpenRC is likely perfectly capable of starting/stopping daemons as
4 > > a normal user (with some tweaks), I expect systemd replacing init, to
5 > > already have a fair bit of isssues with being just a normal unprivileged
6 > > user. I may be wrong, of course. However, the notorious reputation of
7 > > that piece of software aiming for system-domination doesn't really make
8 > > it sound to me like it ever will be a good match for Prefix.
9 >
10 > You happen to be wrong. systemd runs perfectly as non-pid-1. Part of
11 > Lennart's well published plan for world domination is to use systemd as
12 > a session manager, so it would replace gnome-session, etc. Lennart &
13 > friends are currently pushing kernel patches to make it fully recursive
14 > (such as being able to re-parent orphaned processes to the session's
15 > systemd instead of the global one.
16
17 Good to know that I'm wrong. I didn't know they pursued world
18 domination too. I wonder how "kernel patches" go well together with
19 "being in an environment unknown to you, or that you cannot control at
20 all", though. Seems there is interest for it to support Prefix then.
21 Looking forward to patches and solutions to complement the challenges of
22 this year's GSoC task.
26 Fabian Groffen
27 Gentoo on a different level