From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] systemd.eclass: Patch for new function systemd_get_udevdir()
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 18:41:54
1 On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 20:28 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 06-08-2012 11:16:52 -0700, Olivier Crête wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 13:56 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
4 > > > While OpenRC is likely perfectly capable of starting/stopping daemons as
5 > > > a normal user (with some tweaks), I expect systemd replacing init, to
6 > > > already have a fair bit of isssues with being just a normal unprivileged
7 > > > user. I may be wrong, of course. However, the notorious reputation of
8 > > > that piece of software aiming for system-domination doesn't really make
9 > > > it sound to me like it ever will be a good match for Prefix.
10 > >
11 > > You happen to be wrong. systemd runs perfectly as non-pid-1. Part of
12 > > Lennart's well published plan for world domination is to use systemd as
13 > > a session manager, so it would replace gnome-session, etc. Lennart &
14 > > friends are currently pushing kernel patches to make it fully recursive
15 > > (such as being able to re-parent orphaned processes to the session's
16 > > systemd instead of the global one.
17 >
18 > Good to know that I'm wrong. I didn't know they pursued world
19 > domination too. I wonder how "kernel patches" go well together with
20 > "being in an environment unknown to you, or that you cannot control at
21 > all", though. Seems there is interest for it to support Prefix then.
22 > Looking forward to patches and solutions to complement the challenges of
23 > this year's GSoC task.
24
25 I think they only want to support systemd-in-systemd, not
26 systemd-in-random-init-system.
29 Olivier Crête
30 tester@g.o
31 Gentoo Developer