From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: 0-day bump requests
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 00:36:09
1 "Tony \"Chainsaw\" Vroon" <chainsaw@g.o> posted
2 1215127573.4067.7.camel@localhost, excerpted below, on Fri, 04 Jul 2008
3 00:26:13 +0100:
4
5 >> 2) If you had your way, would you discourage users from filing early
6 >> version bump requests?
7
8 AFAIK, it has been at least informal policy to discourage bump requests
9 for the first week or two. After that, it's fair game, but of course
10 check for dups b4 filing.
11
12 > Just an idea:
13 > How about a metadata.xml tag that indicates whether early bump requests
14 > are welcome? It's more of an individual developer preference, but that
15 > seems the right place for it.
16
17 While I like the /idea/ of a metadata tag, all in all, I think a blanket
18 policy remains best (read least confusing). Make it 72 hours or a week
19 or whatever. Devs who know and prefer not to be bothered after that can
20 file their own bug, thus letting people know /they/ know, and giving
21 people a place to CC for updates.
22
23 BTW, is there a supported and easily user usable metadata viewer.
24 Something at the level of gentoolkit? I've not seen or read of such a
25 thing, which indicates it's likely pretty obscure if so. What good would
26 a metadata tag do if it's not info exposed to the users? Practically,
27 that's just more confusing.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
35 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list