From: Brad Laue <brad@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:39:27
1 Matthew Kennedy wrote:
2 > Stewart <blkdeath@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 > [...]
7 >>Graphical User Environment = Market Acceptance. Period.
10 > Irrelevant.
13 Very relevant. The year Linux begins to make its big stand as an
14 end-user operating system its chief graphical component is rejected
15 en-masse in a game of license-chicken. Who will blink first?
16
17 It's extremely wreckless to reject a project of such massive importance
18 without having a plan first.
19
20 I'm not sure if there's *any* output from Xouvert, and from what I'm
21 told, xserver-freedesktop is not a marketable product, simply a proving
22 ground for technologies that may or may not appear in an actual X
23 server. Great. We're not going to be able to pull an alternative out of
24 our hats as quickly as everyone thinks.
25
26 As dire as the legal implications may be in including 4.4, somehow it
27 still feels like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
28
29 Brad
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list