From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage in Embedded Systems?
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:50:14
1 On 3:33:23 am 10/05/04 Chris White <chriswhite@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > > All,
4 > >
5 > > Maybe I've just not seen this, but what sort of footprint does
6 > > portage leave on embedded systems with low cpu/ram? I ask this
7 > > mainly because it's a Good Thing To Know (tm) considering the last
8 > > LWE conference was full of people asking about using Gentoo for
9 > > embedded devices. Something like higher end Palms may be able to
10 > > dish it out, but what happens when you get to lower end palms or
11 > > even cell phones? Thanks ahead of time for any/all comments and
12 > > hold on (*ChrisWhite prepares fireproof suit)... and flames.
13
14 I generally use ROOT= from a uclibc chroot I have on my system. Just
15 yesterday, I booted a uml with only 3 packages installed.
16
17 ROOT="/mnt" USE="make-busybox-symlinks" \
18 emerge -k uclibc busybox baselayout-lite
19
20 then I copied that to a uml root_fs, made a few changes, and it worked
21
22 I've got to feed a few changes back into the busybox/uclibc/baselayout-lite
23 ebuilds, and I'm hopefully going to get around to writing up some
24 notes/docs on how best to use and manage similar things.
25
26 --Iggy
29 > > --
30 > > Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>