From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [caleb@gentoo.org: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo and the FHS]
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:06:39
1 tigger@g.o wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 01:23:27PM +0000, tigger@g.o wrote:
3 >
4 >>sorry, replied only to Caleb by mistake the first time...
7 > oh ffs. how lame am I. Didn't include my reply...
8 >
9 > Sorry folks, not enough coffee this morning...
12 >>The FHS 2.3 will be released soon. Some of the more controversial ideas stem
13 >>from the addition of /srv and /media to the root filesystem. Debian recently
14 >>put out some feelers to get an opinion on how they wanted to address these
15 >>proposed changes. I suggest Gentoo does the same.
18 > While I don't care either way about /media (whats wrong with /mnt?) I
19 > think /srv is a great idea.
20 >
21 > I think /var/www and /var/lib/mysql are candidates for being moved for a
22 > start. You should be able to wipe /var without breaking your system,
23 > just logs and re-creatable caches.
24
25 Wouldn't portage then need to be modified? From what I understand, /var/cache/edb/world
26 can't be reliably regenerated with the same results. More importantly, what about /var/db/pkg?
29 Andrew Gaffney
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list