From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Scheme herd team needs some love
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:36:23
1 j.romildo@×××××.com posted 20061104094756.GC13388@×××××××××.gwiceb1,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 04 Nov 2006 06:47:56 -0300:
3
4 > On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:33:15PM -0500, Matthew Kennedy wrote:
5 >
6 >> If you have an interest in Scheme and the Gentoo project, I encourage
7 >> you to go through the new developer process and start maintaining
8 >> these Scheme ebuilds.
9 >
10 > I am interested in Scheme and the Gentoo project, but I am not a
11 > developer. As was posted on the latest GWN, maybe it would be a good
12 > idea to enter the recruiting process so that I would become a developer
13 > and help the scheme herd.
14
15 Welcome! =8^)
16
17 If you haven't already done so, you'll want to check out Gentoo's
18 developer documentation. Gentoo has a reputation in the community for
19 some pretty good documentation, and of course, that includes its developer
20 documentation.
21
22 Of immediate interest will be the developer handbook. Among other things,
23 there's a section on becoming a developer that should familiarize you
24 with the steps involved and help get you started. (To the GWN folks, it
25 would have been nice had this been in the GWN article, but anyway...)
26
27 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml
28
29 Of course, there's additional documentation that may be of interest as
30 well. Here's a link to "The Big List" (TM) of Gentoo documentation. Of
31 particular interest to you will likely be some of the guides under
32 Development Documentation, devrel and release policies and the like.
33
34 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml
35
36 Finally, if you haven't read them in awhile, you may wish to review some of
37 the basics in the Working with Portage and Working with Gentoo sections of
38 the general Gentoo Handbook, here. (Pick an arch, that's mostly for
39 install, so it doesn't matter much for the Working with... sections.) :
40
41 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2006.1/index.xml
42
43 Of course, you'll probably want to stay subscribed to this list and start
44 following the discussions, but the devs are rightly concerned about
45 letting just anybody have access to a tree tens of thousands of users
46 depend on, and the process of becoming a developer has been deliberately
47 designed to weed out the "two commits and you never see them again" types,
48 so it's just that, a process, that'll take a few months.
49
50 (Me? I'm just a user, but I follow this list to keep a heads-up on
51 changes coming my way, and perhaps to voice my opinion on topics of
52 interest to me occasionally, when they surface. I appreciate the fact
53 that such a list is open to users, and try not to abuse it. If I can be
54 of help in instances such as this, so much the better. =8^)
59 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
62 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list