From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] timezone configuration - why copying, not symlinking /etc/localtime ?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 05:56:35
1 On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 10:27 PM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > >>>>> On Sun, 21 Mar 2021, Alec Warner wrote:
4 >
5 > >> Which doesn't imply that we deliberately break things.
6 >
7 > > Not sure I follow.. how is updating the handbook breaking anything?
8 >
9 > Both configurations (regular file and symlink) work just fine, and
10 > sys-libs/timezone-data supports them. I don't see a good reason why we
11 > would suddenly declare the regular file to be an invalid option.
12
13 https://bugs.gentoo.org/737914 seems to imply for some upstreams, it
14 being a file is not a valid option anymore?
15
16 (I'm ignoring the logic of that decision of course, but this was the
17 original reason this was raised.)
18
19 -A
22 > Ulrich