From: Milos Negovanovic <milosn@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibPNG Problems :(
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 19:07:11
1 On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:08:10 +0000
2 "Eugenia Loli-Queru" <eloli@×××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Sorry, this solution is NOT acceptable. This pretty much says that I
5 > have rebuild most of my graphics apps, and possibly X (which I
6 > recompiled it just yesterday anyway during my upgrade to 1.1a). This
7 > is just WAY too time consuming, and, simply put, it doesn't worth the
8 > trouble. I would expect Gentoo LLC to find a better solutions for its
9 > users, especially if this error was not a user error, but the
10 > maintener's. Asking poor cpu cycle users to recompile everything, it
11 > is just not so good, don't you think?
12 >
13 > WHY this "dll hell" had happened anyway? Is there not another, easier
14 > way to fix this, by downloading a new libpng or something else? It
15 > seems that _a lot_ of people just got on the same problem, if I judge
16 > from the number of emails regarding the new libpng problems that
17 > breaks compatibility.
18 >
19 > So, who's problem that is? The person who did the ebuilds? the person
20 > who did other depended ebuilds? libpng's? Mine for want to run Linux
21 > and in fact ran into dll hell? :(
22 >
23 > /me goes back to Windows, MacOSX and BeOS. The Free/Open software is
24 > not there yet for the end user (forget the fact that I am actually a
25 > developer - Linux is only free if you have a lot of free time to spare
26 > - I don't).
27 >
28 > Thank you all for the answers so far, in the last 2 weeks. I really
29 > appreciated your help. Please do not see the above as whining, these
30 > are just my honest thoughts about the free software as a whole today
31 > (I mean, when you put all these individual projects to work together
32 > under the umbrella of an OS - any OS). Not very well co-ordinated. :(
33 >
34 > Regards,
35 > Eugenia
38 > >Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibPNG Problems :(
39 > >From: Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o>
40 > >To: gentoo-dev@g.o
41 > >Date: 17 Apr 2002 03:04:43 -0500
42 > >Reply-To: gentoo-dev@g.o