From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage prize winners
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 16:38:58
1 splite-gentoo@××××××××××××××××.edu wrote: [Thu Jun 03 2004, 11:44:50AM EDT]
2 > Nope, you're right. That's what I get for pre-coffee posting. This would
3 > work:
4 >
5 > use python && { use ppc || myconf="$myconf --with-python"; }
6
7 Yes, that's right, but I would avoid it anyway because it takes some
8 extra thought on the part of the ebuild writer (and reader). For
9 example, drop the semicolon and it's a bash error again.
10
11 On a different topic... it is still wrong because it falls back on
12 configure to make a default decision for python. This is somewhat of
13 a different topic, but all ebuilds that do this are wrong because they
14 produce a non-deterministic build. Here is what should be done, as I
15 mentioned earlier:
16
17 if use ppc; then
18 myconf="$myconf --without-python"
19 else
20 myconf="$myconf $(use_with python)"
21 fi
22
23 At some point I'm going to use mcummings' bugzie client to file a
24 barrage of bugs to get maintainers to fix their ebuilds to produce
25 deterministic builds.
26
27 Regards,
28 Aron