From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage prize winners
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:50:14
1 On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 12:27 -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Yes, that's right, but I would avoid it anyway because it takes some
3 > extra thought on the part of the ebuild writer (and reader). For
4 > example, drop the semicolon and it's a bash error again.
5 >
6 > On a different topic... it is still wrong because it falls back on
7 > configure to make a default decision for python. This is somewhat of
8 > a different topic, but all ebuilds that do this are wrong because they
9 > produce a non-deterministic build. Here is what should be done, as I
10 > mentioned earlier:
11 >
12 > if use ppc; then
13 > myconf="$myconf --without-python"
14 > else
15 > myconf="$myconf $(use_with python)"
16 > fi
17 >
18 > At some point I'm going to use mcummings' bugzie client to file a
19 > barrage of bugs to get maintainers to fix their ebuilds to produce
20 > deterministic builds.
21
22 The problem is a lot of upstream packages do not do this right (rely on
23 autodetection), so I don't think a bug avalanche is the answer here (cause it's a
24 _lot_ of packages). It should be made aware to our devs why this is
25 important so that configure scripts need to be fixed and the fixes sent
26 upstream.
27
28 - foser