From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Attracting developers (Re: Packages up for grabs...)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 23:48:08
1 On 12/16/12 13:53, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 >> 1. Even MediaWiki (wiki.gentoo.org) looks better than www.gentoo.org.
3 >> That's impressive-bad.
4 >>
5 >> People still think of Gentoo as a ricer distro that's broken all
6 >> the time, when in reality, it's one of the most stable. No one
7 >> would suspect that anything has changed, though, since the
8 >> homepage hasn't since before I could drink beer.
9 >>
10 >> It makes the entire distro look unmaintained.
11 >
12 > Yeah. Stable. Hehe...
13 >
14 > The problem with the entire webpage is that is coded in an extremely obscure
15 > way. It is probably easier to 100% replace it from scratch than to modify and
16 > improve it. Yes, I've tried to analyze once how e.g. the table of blog posts
17 > or the GLSA announcements on the main page come together.
18 >
19 > My personal suggestion would be to code an internal replacement and
20 > transparently port more and more pages to it (as a change mostly invisible
21 > from outside, with two content management systems running concurrently for a
22 > transition period). Once the transition is complete, improvements can be made
23 > in a more sweeping way.
24 >
25 > How to do this, however, and what software to target should probably be
26 > decided by people who know more than me... and in the end it all boils down to
27 > "who has the time and motivation".
30 This sounds reasonable, but it's a huge project either way. No one is
31 ever going to have the time or motivation, thus the suggestion to do a
32 bug bounty for it.