From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Attracting developers (Re: Packages up for grabs...)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 18:54:40
1 > 1. Even MediaWiki (wiki.gentoo.org) looks better than www.gentoo.org.
2 > That's impressive-bad.
3 >
4 > People still think of Gentoo as a ricer distro that's broken all
5 > the time, when in reality, it's one of the most stable. No one
6 > would suspect that anything has changed, though, since the
7 > homepage hasn't since before I could drink beer.
8 >
9 > It makes the entire distro look unmaintained.
10
11 Yeah. Stable. Hehe...
12
13 The problem with the entire webpage is that is coded in an extremely obscure
14 way. It is probably easier to 100% replace it from scratch than to modify and
15 improve it. Yes, I've tried to analyze once how e.g. the table of blog posts
16 or the GLSA announcements on the main page come together.
17
18 My personal suggestion would be to code an internal replacement and
19 transparently port more and more pages to it (as a change mostly invisible
20 from outside, with two content management systems running concurrently for a
21 transition period). Once the transition is complete, improvements can be made
22 in a more sweeping way.
23
24 How to do this, however, and what software to target should probably be
25 decided by people who know more than me... and in the end it all boils down to
26 "who has the time and motivation".
29 > 2. Nowhere is it actually spelled out how to become a developer.
30 > Let's google "how to become a gentoo developer." This takes me
31 > to...
32 >
33 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=2
34 >
35 > which as far as I know, is complete bullshit. I should look for an
36 > opening in the monthly newsletter? Really? Or in #gentoo-bugs?
37
38 That page BADLY needs an update. It should however probably also reflect
39 reality in the sense that you cannot really "apply to become a developer".
40 What you can do is help out, be useful, get noticed, and be offered the job.
41 (That at least is my personal impression on how it works.)
44 > 3. Get off CVS for Christ's sake. Nobody wants to work with that. I
45 > don't know how this fits into my bullet list, but it's important.
48 There's exactly one argument in favour of CVS, and Fabian has already made it.
49 Indeed CVS *is* stone age software. However, until you've actually become a
50 Gentoo dev, you will not need to touch it, and then learning the minimal CVS
51 requirements should then be the very least of your worries. So this point is
52 probably a bit out of context here.
53
54 (/me remembers that the monthly reminder mail "how is the migration going"
55 still needs to be sent...)
56
57 Cheers, A
61 Andreas K. Huettel