From: "C Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] impending c++11 clusterfuck?
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 04:11:01
1 On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Gregory M. Turner <gmt@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > I'm quoting myself from bug #566328 here. These were off-the-cuff
3 > remarks that got away from me and became a call-to-arms...
6 >> This is never this simple. C++11 can change the ABI. So the point kinda is,
7 >> we need to ensure that all C++ libraries in a depgraph use the same C++
8 >> version.
9 >
10 > This is pretty awful when you really think about it. I feel like I'm
11 > watching a train-wreck in super slow motion.
12 >
13 > I'm not sure we're taking this seriously enough -- sooner or later it
14 > seems destined to become a major clusterfuck if we don't do something
15 > proactive about it now while the drawing-board is relatively
16 > uncluttered.
17 >
18 > The only thing I can think of that has this kind of two-way depgraph
19 > magic property are the major "abi" USE_EXPAND values (multilib-build
20 > and python-r1, in other words).
21 >
22 > But those rely on fancy framework-generated USE-flag deps, which seem
23 > like overkill and likely to incur unjustifiable user-experience-costs.
24 >
25 > Perhaps a solution to this cxx11 clusterfuck can be found that works
26 > more like perl? By that I mean, pick your poison (respectively, your
27 > cxx11 ABI of preference or your major perl version of choice), rely on
28 > inbuilt portage features do the trick most of the time, and, when it
29 > breaks, run "magically-fix-everything.sh," grab a caffeinated beverage
30 > or three and fire up your favorite VOD client while the mess gets
31 > magically cleaned up by robots somehow.
32
33 I'm not sure I fully understand the problem, but what about
34 a. Always define the c++11 flag
35 b. Not support a system with mixed (and incompatible) c++ standards
36
37 I personally don't think it seems reasonable to try to carry both
38 c++03 and c++11 at the same time. This especially seems like nonsense
39 to me in the gentoo world. gcc has or will soon switch to c++11 by
40 default. Packages which can't be built will start having issues
41 anyway.