From: "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] impending c++11 clusterfuck?
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 03:56:17
5 > This is never this simple. C++11 can change the ABI. So the point kinda is,
6 > we need to ensure that all C++ libraries in a depgraph use the same C++
7 > version.
8
9 This is pretty awful when you really think about it. I feel like I'm
10 watching a train-wreck in super slow motion.
11
12 I'm not sure we're taking this seriously enough -- sooner or later it
13 seems destined to become a major clusterfuck if we don't do something
14 proactive about it now while the drawing-board is relatively
15 uncluttered.
16
17 The only thing I can think of that has this kind of two-way depgraph
18 magic property are the major "abi" USE_EXPAND values (multilib-build
19 and python-r1, in other words).
20
21 But those rely on fancy framework-generated USE-flag deps, which seem
22 like overkill and likely to incur unjustifiable user-experience-costs.
23
24 Perhaps a solution to this cxx11 clusterfuck can be found that works
25 more like perl? By that I mean, pick your poison (respectively, your
26 cxx11 ABI of preference or your major perl version of choice), rely on
27 inbuilt portage features do the trick most of the time, and, when it
28 breaks, run "magically-fix-everything.sh," grab a caffeinated beverage
29 or three and fire up your favorite VOD client while the mess gets
30 magically cleaned up by robots somehow.
31
32 -gmt
33
34 Greg Turner