From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 10:56:19
1 > I understand you don't care about how many users you have, Gentoo is not a
2 > bussiness. But if I try to convince users about the current situation that
3 > is hard. I can't explain this, I really can't. My only answer is "put it
4 > in /etc/portage/package.keywords". But that one is growing very fast...
5 > One nice thing for users would be the addition of more metabugs for recent
6 > packages. I'd like to know why some packages are not stable, and I am not
7 > the only one. Adding a metabug instead of closing all requests for
8 > stabilization with wontfix/wontresolve is much more userfriendly.
9
10 I read and see that your intentions are good.
11
12 The KDE team is currently made of about 3 semi active people. Our speed
13 is simply limited by the amount of time and resources we have to put into
14 maintenance. I won't argue stability and ~keywords and whatnot, as it's
15 somewhat of a matter of opinion and interpretation.
16
17 But I will say this: if anyone feels as though something has stalled or
18 wants some explanation as to why the distribution isn't moving in a
19 certain direction, then your message should be tagged with the following
20 words:
21
22 "How can I help?"
23
24 Get involved. It's the only way you will truly understand the magnitude
25 of a project like Gentoo. KDE is a very small slice of the whole thing,
26 and yet it still requires a LOT of time. We're always looking for help.
27 If you need a place to start, pick out a bug report and try and fix it.
28 You might spend 3-4 hours chasing the answer. 3-4 hours. Can you imagine
29 sitting in front of your computer for 3-4 hours to solve a problem for
30 someone you don't know for no compensation? And you may never even figure
31 it out!
32
33 So let's rephrase "why doesn't Gentoo have ZZZ" into "how can I help
34 Gentoo have ZZZ?". Become empowered. That's what will keep the
35 distribution great.
38 Caleb
41 My guess is that KDE 3.5.2 is probably ready for stabilization, but nobody
42 has the time to do it at the moment. That's purely a guess, though. Feel
43 free to open a stabilization tracker bug for it so we do have a place to
44 discuss it.
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list