From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrite: Firmware cleanup, part #1
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 21:45:41
1 On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
2 <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
3 > Honestly while I agree this could have been handled a little more
4 > carefully we all win by having ONE place for firmware. The firmware
5 > package is like 20MB, if you don't have that much free harddrive space
6 > then you can use the savedconfig option to tune for just your hardware
7
8 It's ~45MB when extracted, but the issue is not just with space, since
9 on a "proper" Gentoo system firmware is about the only thing that's
10 not compiled from source (besides less significant stuff like fonts,
11 many of which can be optionally compiled anyway). Combined with
12 various less-than-free licenses, installing one huge blob of firmware
13 is problematic for many users, also from a security point of view.
14
15 > Having 300 -firmware packages is silly.
16
17 I agree, but think that the process can be more user-friendly than a
18 savedconfig — perhaps a variable as was suggested already.
21 Maxim Kammerer
22 Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte