From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] College Course in Gentoo Development
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 18:12:30
1 On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 > Please comment. If it gets systematized enough, it can be a guide to future
3 > devs too.
4
5 Hi, what is the level of the students, what are the prerequisites
6 (i.e., have they already seen some systems programming using C?), and
7 how many weekly hours? Have you already designed some assignments? I
8 can think of the following:
9
10 1. Create a small makefile-based project with a separate shared
11 library, an executable, and a man page. Determine run-time and
12 build-time dependencies. Then convert to autotools, update
13 dependencies. Do it all on GitHub, with a separate branch for
14 converting to autotools.
15
16 2. Write an ebuild for the project above, maintained in an overlay
17 (also on GitHub), with sources fetched from GitHub. Add some small
18 patch to configure.ac in the ebuild. Add USE flags. Add "make check"
19 support to the build system, test with FEATURES=test. Many
20 ebuild-related tasks can be easily added (e.g. installing init.d
21 scripts).
22
23 3. Take an old-version ebuild for a project with a known bug, fetch
24 the relevant git tag, and bisect to find the bug. Prepare a patch,
25 describe patch submission process.
26
27 Wrt. subjects covered, will you cover sandboxing, installing to image
28 vs. merging to live system, etc.? I would expect students to like such
29 stuff.
32 Maxim Kammerer
33 Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte