From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: gnupg2 only vs gnupg-1 & gnupg-2
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 14:51:37
1 On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 09:43 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
4 > > It works on stable systems, since gnupg is still slotted there:
5 > > 1.4.7-r1 in slot 0
6 > > 1.9.21 in slot 1.9
7 > >
8 > Er ok, but i'm guessing Mr Thomson wanted to have both available as separate
9 > packages similar to those binary distros gentoo is supposedly able to spit
10 > out (since it is a meta-distro.)
11
12 Nope
13
14 Slotting accomplishes what is needed to resolve this for now. As
15 mentioned it was slotted before gnupg-2, and for some reason the slot
16 was dropped when gnupg-2 was committed to tree. Day one I ran into the
17 problem, I requested it remain slotted. There has been opposition ever
18 since.
19
20 Not to mention I have never been provided any factual or technical
21 reasons why we should provide gnupg-2 only. Best I got was personal
22 preference of the developers managing the gnugp package.
23
24 By the way, did I mention this causes depgraph issues, since day one?
25 Which are only resolved by masking gnupg-2, or etc.
26
27 Also we are currently symlinking gpg -> gpg2, and gpg2 doesn't support
28 all the arguments and etc of gpg2. Since gnugp-2 does not support all
29 features of gnupg-1. The symlink is a hack to try to avoid needed both.
33 William L. Thomson Jr.
34 Gentoo/Java