From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes in server profiles
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:24:52
1 On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 01:18:14PM +0200, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > On 10/29/10 1:03 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 > > 1) I want to drop the warning message located on profile.bashrc files
4 > > e.g $PORTDIR/default/linux/amd64/10.0/server/profile.bashrc
5 > > It is more than obvious what this profile is for so I don't think this
6 > > message makes any sense.
7 >
8 > > ewarn "This profile has not been tested thoroughly and is not considered to be"
9 > > ewarn "a supported server profile at this time. For a supported server"
10 >
11 > The above is definitely not obvious. Is this documented in any other place?
12 This is there for years. You think that anyone is working on that in
13 order to verify whether it is a *stable* server profile or not? I use it
14 since the very beginning on my servers and I say that it works!
15 >
16 > > ewarn "the software being used on the server. This profile should also be used"
17 > > ewarn "if you require GCC 4.1 or Glibc 2.4 support. If you don't know if this"
18 >
19 > That too.
20 >
21 I use the latest stable for GCC+Glibc and never had an issue. Maybe some
22 people are confusing the server profiles with the hardened one?
23
24 > By the way, I think there was some way to mark a profile as
25 > "development", "unsupported", or something like that.
26 It's been in this state for years so I do not expect someone to actually
27 working on that
28 >
29 > > 2) Furthermore I would like to drop the following use flags from default
30 > > IUSE
31 > >
32 > > -apache2
33 > > -ldap
34 > >
35 > > A minimal server installation does requires neither apache2 nor ldap
36 >
37 > Sounds good (I'm not using a server profile though).
43 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
44 Gentoo Linux Developer
45 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org
46 Key ID: 441AC410
47 Key FP: AAD0 8591 E3CD 445D 6411 3477 F7F7 1E8E 441A C410