From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: dirtyepic@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Default USE changes for fortran and mudflap?
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 10:08:35
1 Dnia 2014-01-12, o godz. 03:50:53
2 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 09:24:20 +0100
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Dnia 2014-01-12, o godz. 01:53:47
8 > > Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> napisał(a):
9 > >
10 > > > fortran:
11 > > > Do we want to keep enabling fortran by default? The majority of users will
12 > > > never get the urge to install a fortran package, and the fortran eclass
13 > > > handles those that do. I think it should be treated as all the other
14 > > > optional languages and disabled by default, but I'd like to know if there
15 > > > are other opinions.
16 > >
17 > > Well, I'd say we should work on making 'other languages' buildable
18 > > without rebuilding the whole giant gcc stack. Especially that
19 > > the stacked build makes it impossible to use distcc at least partially.
20 >
21 > Bootstrapping makes distcc impossible, and you can't bootstrap these days
22 > without building C and C++. Even if you're not bootstrapping, the back and
23 > middle ends are shared. You have to build them to build the front-ends. Maybe
24 > you could cut out a couple of the target libraries, so you're really not gaining
25 > much.
26
27 Yes but if C & C++ was installed after it is built, distcc/ccache could
28 be then used to build the Fortran & GCJ & so on. Of course, there's
29 another matter of matching gcc versions between hosts but that's just
30 another problem that needs addressing elsewhere.
31
32 Maybe I wouldn't gain much of Fortran. But if I recall correctly, gcj
33 has a fair bit of C++ code to build.
34
35 But after all, it's all purely theoretical. Unless we're going to patch
36 gcc build system to make it more friendly.
37
38 > Anyways, assuming we can't split out fortran, would you be for or against
39 > enabling it by default? I'm good either way.
40
41 Considering that it saves you like 5M? I'd rather keep it enabled. 5M
42 won't save the day, while waiting extra 2 hours for gcc rebuild because
43 some package needs Fortran is irritating. And I say two hours because,
44 say, I had to enable USE=gcj earlier and now I have to rebuild that
45 huge thing.
48 Best regards,
49 Michał Górny