From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Default USE changes for fortran and mudflap?
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 09:41:32
1 On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 09:24:20 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Dnia 2014-01-12, o godz. 01:53:47
5 > Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> napisał(a):
6 >
7 > > fortran:
8 > > Do we want to keep enabling fortran by default? The majority of users will
9 > > never get the urge to install a fortran package, and the fortran eclass
10 > > handles those that do. I think it should be treated as all the other
11 > > optional languages and disabled by default, but I'd like to know if there
12 > > are other opinions.
13 >
14 > Well, I'd say we should work on making 'other languages' buildable
15 > without rebuilding the whole giant gcc stack. Especially that
16 > the stacked build makes it impossible to use distcc at least partially.
17
18 Bootstrapping makes distcc impossible, and you can't bootstrap these days
19 without building C and C++. Even if you're not bootstrapping, the back and
20 middle ends are shared. You have to build them to build the front-ends. Maybe
21 you could cut out a couple of the target libraries, so you're really not gaining
22 much.
23
24 If the build times really get to you then you could try something like:
25
26 GCC_MAKE_TARGET="all" EXTRA_ECONF="--disable-bootstrap" \
27 emerge -av1 sys-devel/gcc:4.8
28
29 distcc should work for most of the build (the target libs must be built with
30 the just-built compiler so that can't be distributed).
31
32 Anyways, assuming we can't split out fortran, would you be for or against
33 enabling it by default? I'm good either way.
37 Ryan Hill psn: dirtyepic_sk
38 gcc-porting/toolchain/wxwidgets @ gentoo.org
39
40 47C3 6D62 4864 0E49 8E9E 7F92 ED38 BD49 957A 8463