From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is anyone a prude?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:56:20
1 Jason S wrote:
4 > I usually don't read to find the intent, unless trying
5 > to figure who started something. I just don't have
6 > time. It's much easier to just make certain words
7 > taboo.
8
9 This is an inherent flaw in some circles of society. This is also the exact
10 kind of thing ciaranm was checking for. People who instantly see something
11 "bad" and then freak out often cause problesm for the rest of us who would
12 merely shrug it off.
13
14 It's similar to the wardrobe malfunction seen in the 2004 Superbowl. US
15 society has a rather peculiar habit of labelling an exposed breast as a
16 hideous, evil thing that should be censored immediately, while freely airing
17 erectile dysfunction commercials every 5 minutes. The intent of Jackson and
18 Timberlake was to surprise everyone -- unfortunately, their intent not only
19 backfired and surprised them, but also overdid the surprise factor to everyone
20 else watching. The intent of the erectile dysfunction commercials was to
21 simply exploit the human desire for better sex.
22
23 Which do you think is more offensive now that the intent is known?, being
24 surprised or being exploited? The same goes for the purpose of this topic --
25 the name "brainfuck" will probably surprise a few people, make a few chuckle,
26 raise some eyebrows on others. But is it going to seriously impede the mental
27 growth of some individual that sees it, or otherwise cause them harm? I say
28 highly unlikely. Using our friendly, four-letter word in a more blunt
29 statement directed as a personal attack against someone will cause far greater
30 harm than simply seeing it in the name of a package.
33 > Are you volunteering to be a 'intent' reader in
34 > #gentoo? I find those harder to spot(highligher
35 > doesn't catch them), since I'm often working on
36 > something else. Could use the help. :D
37
38 I'm insane enough as it is, I don't need to be driven any more so by
39 monitoring #gentoo :)
42 --Kumba
45 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small
46 hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."
47 --Elrond
48 --
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list