From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:51:39
1 On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 15:18:24 -0400
4 > Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> I've occasionally noticed portage tell me about circular dependencies,
6 >> where the most straight forward resolution is to emerge some package
7 >> in the loop twice. The first time, with a USE flag disabled (avahi and
8 >> gtk are the usual suspects), and the second time with the USE flag
9 >> enabled.
10 >>
11 >> In circumstances where it's necessary to do something like that to
12 >> reach a final desired system state, I'm not sure I see any problem
13 >> with portage automatically doing the two-stage emerge.
14 >
15 > That's going to be rather horrible when your package mangler
16 > "temporarily" turns off acl or turns on build...
17
18 Fair observation; there would need to be a way either weight benign or
19 dangerous USE/package flags, and search paths with weights outside of
20 a 'safe' range would be discarded.
21
22 A mechanism like that also offers a means of finding and favoring
23 cheap rebuilds over expensive ones; rebuilding gcc an extra time ought
24 to be disfavored over rebuilding, say, sudo.
27 :wq