From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Of Mips and Devs [Was: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January]
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 06:34:39
1 On Wednesday 09 January 2008, Kumba wrote:
2 > Well, I guess it's something that's been needing to be faced for some time
3 > now, as difficult as it is to do. Regardless of the accusations and
4 > counter-accusations flying around in this thread, I'll just go ahead and
5 > state the fact that yes, we are a "slacker arch".
6 >
7 > Why? Because there's just no time anymore these days and no one left
8 > really of the original team. And a lot of that really is my fault. Tuxus
9 > may have laid the first keel of our ship, but I was the one who, so long
10 > ago, made her seaworthy and crewed her. But now, she's largely a ghost
11 > ship -- adrift in the seas, and a hazard to the other ships.
12
13 thanks ... you've always been a straight shooter without any bs mixed in.
14
15 > 1. It's been suggested that mips drop all stable keywords ('mips') leaving
16 > unstable keywords as-is ('~mips').
17 >
18 > That said, however, I don't think it would be appropriate to commit a patch
19 > to portage that wipes out all our stable keywords in one go. I think it
20 > would be more appropriate to phase such a change in gently, because as far
21 > as I know, no one else has really done this. The other archs typically
22 > maintain a stable/unstable set of keywords in the tree. So I think this
23 > should be managed by the profiles. I've been needing to do some profile
24 > cleanup anyways, so I can probably fiddle with a 2008.0-dev profile set to
25 > only do ~arch, and then see how that goes.
26
27 that certainly sounds reasonable to me. if the stable cant be maintained, let
28 the common workflow of developers transition it back to ~arch until someone
29 has the time to keep arch usable. changing profiles.desc accordingly should
30 be done ahead of time. perhaps a new category for profiles.desc ? "exp" for
31 such ports ? i could see all *-fbsd ports being moved there. tweak repoman
32 to be less verbose about dep issues for such profiles and we're set.
33
34 > 3. Should Gentoo even continue to support mips?
35
36 i see dropping keywords as a very last resort. getting a port *back* into the
37 tree is a *tremendous* amount of work (i went through it and it was hell),
38 while keeping ~arch alive is a sliver of effort and generally not a blocker
39 for package maintainers.
40
41 > Do people even *use* mips?
42
43 mips certainly sees use on the embedded side. there should be no doubt
44 whatsoever about its usage.
45 -mike