From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New GLEP -- New ombudsman position
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:13:16
1 On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 09:18, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > > This GLEP proposes that we extend the current proposed management
3 > > structure by adding a position of Ombudsman that would fall under
4 > > devrel, qa, and pr. An ombudsman is one who has been assigned to
5 > > *impartially* investigate complaints and settle disputes.
6 >
7 > Settle how? Does this position (as proposed) have any power to make
8 > decisions or is it more intended to try and find a common ground through
9 > discussions and negotiations?
10
11 Replace "settle" with "mediate", as the ombudsman has no actual power
12 other than persuasion; it's intended entirely to facilitate finding
13 common ground through discussions and negotiations (good phrase; mind if
14 I use it?).
15
16 > When is it appropriate to use this ombudsman? How does one contact the
17 > person? Are disputes logged and/or public?
18
19 In principle it is appropriate to use an ombudsman at any time, which
20 one can do simply by sending an e-mail to ombudsman@g.o. A user
21 who's ticked because her bug has been sitting on bugzilla for three
22 months can send the ombudsman an e-mail, as can developer Y who's
23 finally had it w/ developer X changing the ebuilds that Y maintains
24 without consulting Y first. The ombudsman's first job is to listen, and
25 then to try to mediate a solution.
26
27 In practice ombudsmen tend not to be overwhelmed because people
28 generally have to be pretty upset to go to the effort of complaining to
29 an ombudsman. Of course, it's just those people who are likely to
30 create significant havoc if things are allowed to blow up.
31
32 All that said, ombudsmen are hardly a panacea, since some disputes
33 simply cannot be resolved effectively. Even so, an ombudsman might be
34 able to mediate so that the parties affected can go their separate ways
35 _without_ rancor, but maybe not.
36
37 As for whether or not disputes should be public or logged, I have my own
38 thoughts, but I'm willing to go with the prevailing wind on this one.
39 My feeling is that disputes should be logged by the ombudsman (it's very
40 hard to investigate w/o having the facts in front of one, and if the
41 dispute should recur it would be helpful to have a record of what
42 happened before), but that they should not be public unless the parties
43 involved make it public.
44
45 I hope that helps. Please feel free to be harshly critical, as it's
46 always possible that there are serious details that I'm missing.
47
48 -g2boojum-
49
50 PS. I should note that the role of the ombudsman is to mediate
51 interpersonal disputes, not policy disputes. Policy disputes are better
52 handled by GLEPs, since they really _do_ need to be public.
53 --
54 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>