From: Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What's it about, anyway?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 00:28:26
1 Tobias Klausmann wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm not pulling the "leave in a huff" card. Gentoo can survive
4 > without me just fine. But I think it might be illustrative that
5 > I, as a user seek alternatives due to this completely irrational,
6 > childish and downright stupid behaviour.
9 An excellent former manager of mine once gave me very good advice -
10 everybody is replaceable. I for one have been a bit annoyed by the
11 number of "this project stinks - I quit" posts in the last few months.
12 I'm sure it is just venting, but ultimately gentoo is a team effort. It
13 is more important that the team is functional than that any particular
14 uber-contributor continues to contribute. Which isn't to say the
15 contributions of uber-contributors aren't important. However,
16 ultimately we all do our small parts to make gentoo what it is.
17
18 It really just comes down to acting like an adult. The project that is
19 successful will be the one where individuals put the good of the project
20 ahead of their personal whims. Sure, we're all volunteers and as a
21 result we get to pick and choose what we work on, but there has to be
22 some give and take for the good of the project.
23
24 And if you just treat everybody nicely, say thank-you, and try not to
25 bite the head off of somebody who says something idiotic things will be
26 a lot happier for everyone... :)

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature