From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unused ebuild built_with_use cleanup
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 13:38:14
1 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 >
3 > And that's with all the "forced" migrations for features like use-deps or the
4 > removal of built_with_use. So unless there's some "strongly needed" features
5 > there's no need for it. I can't remember any feature in the EAPI 3 list that
6 > really looked useful to me, so not adding it now now now doesn't bother me at
7 > all. Just causes more confusion for no real benefit. So who cares if it is
8 > delayed by a few timeunits, there's much more important stuff to do.
11 Here's two features that by themselves are important enough to get EAPI
12 3 implemented. Using pkg_pretend it should be possible to eliminate
13 expected dies from build time and as such improving user experience. An
14 example is two use flags that conflict with each other. Use dependency
15 defaults make the life of ebuild writers easier as you don't need to be
16 careful with version restrictions any more if you have a case where
17 something has been on by default and then becomes a use flag for
18 example. This should eliminate cases like causing glibc downgrade in the
19 depgraph by being careless.
20
21 Regards,
22 Petteri