From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unused ebuild built_with_use cleanup
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 00:17:46
1 On Friday 09 October 2009 00:22:26 Petteri Räty wrote:
2
3 > >> across a case that couldn't be done with EAPI 2 yet. Granted the atoms
4 > >> can be a bit cleaner with EAPI 3 but considering how much zmedico slacks
5 > >> in implementing it, it's best to do migrating now with EAPI 2 than EAPI
6 > >
7 > > Comments like these are not acceptable. Zac works his tail off on
8 > > portage. Please refrain from such comments in the future.
9 > > -Jeremy
10 >
11 > He has said himself that he is not especially interested in implementing
12 > EAPI 3 so slack at least to me seems like a good term.
13
14 I'm not sold on it either. Most devs barely know the difference between
15 different EAPIs (just extrapolating from the many questions I see e.g. on IRC)
16 (and I think they shouldn't have to know because we should be using one EAPI
17 only, but that's just my random opinion)
18
19 Most ebuilds are still EAPI0 - rough count gives me:
20
21 EAPI 0 - 19654
22 EAPI 1 - 1651
23 EAPI 2 - 5497
24
25 And that's with all the "forced" migrations for features like use-deps or the
26 removal of built_with_use. So unless there's some "strongly needed" features
27 there's no need for it. I can't remember any feature in the EAPI 3 list that
28 really looked useful to me, so not adding it now now now doesn't bother me at
29 all. Just causes more confusion for no real benefit. So who cares if it is
30 delayed by a few timeunits, there's much more important stuff to do.