From: Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] make_desktop_entry in eutils.eclass
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:27:06
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 30 January 2007 16:10, Jim Ramsay wrote:
3 > > In other words, I propose that this function should probably do
4 > > 'basename' on $exec before using it for the .desktop filename.
5 >
6 > no ... the point of using $exec is to make sure the .desktop file is unique
7 >
8 > i'll change it to sanitize the filename and turn them into underscores
9
10 Sure, but the name is already based on $exec AND ${PN} (and
11 SLOT too if SLOT != 0), so the uniqueness is already guaranteed
12 per-package, it would just be a matter of the package maintainer not
13 using the same exec twice in the same package, which probably
14 wouldn't even happen anyway. I still think basename would be
15 sufficient.
16
17 > > I propose an optional environment variable an ebuild can set before
18 > > calling make_desktop_entry, called "DESKTOP_BASENAME", which would be
19 > > the basename of the file (not including the .desktop suffix) that the
20 > > function would use (if set) to create the file.
21 >
22 > env vars to functions are lame
23
24 In that case it could be another optional parameter instead.
25
26 > > 3 - Allow me to add other important settings like 'NoDisplay',
27 > > 'OnlyShowIn', and/or 'MimeType'.
28 >
29 > at this point, you might as well write your own .desktop file
30
31 Personally I'd rather just add one line to my ebuild as opposed to
32 creating and maintaining a .desktop file in the files directory. This
33 would just add a useful feature for those who want that level of
34 flexibility.
37 Jim Ramsay
38 Gentoo/Linux Developer (rox)