From: kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 02:56:18
1 On 12/03/2017 08:19 PM, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > this 18 min talk by Donnie Berkholz from 2012, about Gentoo actually:
3
4 Someone in private linked that video to me today. Yeah :(
5
6 > Do not tolerate bad behavior by anyone!
7 --snip--
8 > It is important to take action which clearly rejects
9 > unacceptable behavior. Otherwise any behavior is per definition
10 > implicitly accepted, which attracts assholes.
11
12 You're not wrong. I've seen FOSS/Libre communities (and non-compsci
13 peer-directed projects) fall apart when "radical free speech"
14 went unchecked. The only people who stayed were even more effective
15 when it came to what seemed like intentionally driving off anyone
16 who dissented / spoke out against their disrespectful behaviors.
17
18 > Coming back to the concrete proposal, I think a better course of
19 > action is to demonstrate strong leadership, by speaking out in force
20 > against bad behavior, every time.
21 >
22 > In order to have something to lean on, it can be super helpful to
23 > have a code-of-conduct in place, and was already mentioned.
24 --snip--
25 > I urge either ComRel or other leadership to take as forceful action
26 > as is neccessary against bad behavior, to uphold a healthy
27 > environment.
28 >
29 --snip--
30 > Please do not relent. It is not fair to yourself or your colleagues.
33 > Thank you and keep up the excellent effort everyone
34 >
35 > //Peter
36
37 Yes please. I don't want to see gentoo end because of ... rudeness.