From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] additional files in portage tree [Improving Portage]
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:19:26
1 On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 12:44:46AM +0200, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > The problem with xml is that it's hard to read without a tool, we
5 > could however easily write such a tool that we use for viewing those
6 > files. So I'd say that an xml-file describing the package would be
7 > nice since it can then be used on the web for browsing available
8 > packages.
9
10 The problem with not using XML is that we have to make yet another file
11 format parser, which we will have to maintain.
12
13 What's more, for other people to be able to make use of the description
14 files, they'll have to concoct their own parsers or use ours. If we want
15 them to use ours, we will have to make bindings for it to Perl, Python,
16 C, C++ and Java, preferrably other languages as well.
17
18 We get all this for free when using XML, since it's widely supported by
19 all non-trivial (and many trivial) languages.
20
21 However, it's a pain in the butt to write/edit and to some extend more
22 difficult to read than a format tuned for human reading.
23
24 This is a known problem with no perfect solution. In fact, XML (or S-exp)
25 is as close as we've gotten to date.
28 In my opinion, we really attack this problem from the completely wrong end:
29 we start by describing not only tools/technology we want to use, but also
30 the specific storage of the data before we even know what we want to extend
31 Portage with in the long term.
32
33 Better package descriptions is just one little part of it all. We also want
34 a graphical package tool, bug reporting, feature requests, regression testing,
35 an automatic package verifier that catches many of the nasty things (like ebuild
36 foo install installing in /usr instead of ${D}/usr), bindings/exports of the
37 package database to tools outside Portage, etc, etc.
38
39 We seem to be at a stage where our entire user population is extremely
40 well-versed in unix, have a lot of experience to bring to the table, and are
41 prepared to suffer some major restructurings in vital parts of the system (mainly
42 Portage).
43
44 If anybody have any thoughts on this, we should get them all out now. I'll try to
45 maintain them in some form for design document on the gentoo.org.
49 Regards,
50
51 Karl T