From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Tomas Mozes <hydrapolic@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Anti-spam for goose
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 06:03:24
1 On Fri, 2020-05-22 at 06:42 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2020-05-21 at 22:13 +0200, Viktar Patotski wrote:
3 > > We don't have "spam" yet, but we are already trying to protect. There might
4 > > be cases when some systems will be posting stats more often than we want,
5 > > but probably that will not harm us. Or this will be done by our main users
6 > > who runs 1kk of gentoo installations and this "spam" will be actually
7 > > valuable. Moreover, nobody forces us to treat info from 'goose' as first
8 > > priority, so we are still able to select on which packages to work. In
9 > > short: this topic is not so important yet, I think.
12 > Tell that to SKS keyserver admins. Well, on the plus side if it
13 > happens, it probably won't affect user systems in the process.
14
15 Well, I didn't make my point very clear, so please let me explain.
16
17 Right now the project is in experimental phase. If we do major changes
18 right now, the harm is minimal.
19
20 If spamming happens one year from now, two years from now... we'd have
21 many users submitting data. Suddenly, we would have to invent something
22 new, and it will probably be impossible within the framework used right
23 now. This would most likely mean we'd have to literally kick all users
24 from the system and start over.
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny