From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo-sources - should we stable?
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 19:18:31
1 On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The thing about stable gentoo-sources is that it shows that it's been
4 > tested, and ideally that testing's been done against the rdeps of the
5 > kernel package too (ie, external modules). ...
6 > That said, given the frequency of security updates, I do think it
7 > makes sense to try and keep the stabilization of LTS kernel versions
8 > in sync with upstream as much as possible, including
9 > quick-stabilization whenever we can.
12 ++ and ++
13
14 Would an approach like this make sense:
15 1. For ~arch keep doing what we're doing (which seems to be generally
16 following the upstream stable branches).
17 2a. For stable always target the latest longterm, and commit straight
18 to stable.
19 or
20 2b. For stable just follow ~arch a few days behind.
21 3. Either way immediately remove packages that aren't
22 upstream-supported (by all means keep all the longterm/stable
23 branches, but don't leave cruft hanging around or abandoned stable
24 branches - if somebody ~arch tagged a particular branch and didn't get
25 the news that it won't go longterm then they'll either downgrade to a
26 supported stable or notice and adjust their keywords to go to the next
27 stable).
28
29 2a is extremely unlikely to break anything, but probably won't get any
30 testing so you might as well commit straight to stable (nobody running
31 ~arch is going to be running longterm as well). 2b is more likely to
32 break stuff, but on the other hand will be more likely to have actual
33 bugs reported so it will be more tested.
34
35 The biggest issue I see is with packages that actually use recent
36 kernel features (systemd comes to mind, maybe udev to a lesser degree,
37 and I'm sure there are others). These kinds of packages should have
38 clear kernel dependencies though. In some sense EVERYTHING is an rdep
39 of the kernel so breakage could conceivably happen anywhere - but the
40 risk is higher in some places.
41
42 I think the classical stable user is probably best off following
43 upstream longterm anyway, unless they just bought a new laptop or
44 something like that.
45
46 In general though I think that it is perfectly acceptable to have a QA
47 policy specific to the kernel since upstream has very robust stable
48 branch support, and the level of QA and release maturity is extremely
49 high.
50
51 I do think that it makes sense to not throw stable Gentoo users at
52 kernels that were mainline release candidates only a day before.
55 Rich