From: Mike Pagano <mpagano@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo-sources - should we stable?
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 19:57:27
1 On Friday, January 02, 2015 02:18:24 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3 > > The thing about stable gentoo-sources is that it shows that it's been
4 > > tested, and ideally that testing's been done against the rdeps of the
5 > > kernel package too (ie, external modules). ...
6 > > That said, given the frequency of security updates, I do think it
7 > > makes sense to try and keep the stabilization of LTS kernel versions
8 > > in sync with upstream as much as possible, including
9 > > quick-stabilization whenever we can.
10 >
11 > ++ and ++
12 >
13 > Would an approach like this make sense:
14 > 1. For ~arch keep doing what we're doing (which seems to be generally
15 > following the upstream stable branches).
16 > 2a. For stable always target the latest longterm, and commit straight
17 > to stable.
18 > or
19 > 2b. For stable just follow ~arch a few days behind.
20 > 3. Either way immediately remove packages that aren't
21 > upstream-supported (by all means keep all the longterm/stable
22 > branches, but don't leave cruft hanging around or abandoned stable
23 > branches - if somebody ~arch tagged a particular branch and didn't get
24 > the news that it won't go longterm then they'll either downgrade to a
25 > supported stable or notice and adjust their keywords to go to the next
26 > stable).
27 >
28 > 2a is extremely unlikely to break anything, but probably won't get any
29 > testing so you might as well commit straight to stable (nobody running
30 > ~arch is going to be running longterm as well). 2b is more likely to
31 > break stuff, but on the other hand will be more likely to have actual
32 > bugs reported so it will be more tested.
33 >
34 > The biggest issue I see is with packages that actually use recent
35 > kernel features (systemd comes to mind, maybe udev to a lesser degree,
36 > and I'm sure there are others). These kinds of packages should have
37 > clear kernel dependencies though. In some sense EVERYTHING is an rdep
38 > of the kernel so breakage could conceivably happen anywhere - but the
39 > risk is higher in some places.
40 >
41 > I think the classical stable user is probably best off following
42 > upstream longterm anyway, unless they just bought a new laptop or
43 > something like that.
44 >
45 > In general though I think that it is perfectly acceptable to have a QA
46 > policy specific to the kernel since upstream has very robust stable
47 > branch support, and the level of QA and release maturity is extremely
48 > high.
49 >
50 > I do think that it makes sense to not throw stable Gentoo users at
51 > kernels that were mainline release candidates only a day before.
52
53 I understand your point. Maybe waiting a few days to auto stable makes sense,
54 because less than 7 days later, a new version with bug/security fixes is
55 released.
56
57 Isn't our current rate of stabilization "selling" a promise of stability we
58 can't stand behind?
59
60 Mike
63 Mike Pagano
64 Gentoo Developer - Kernel Project
65 Team Lead - Gentoo Sources
66 E-Mail : mpagano@g.o
67 GnuPG FP : EEE2 601D 0763 B60F 848C 9E14 3C33 C650 B576 E4E3
68 Public Key : http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0xB576E4E3&op=index