From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 23:03:38
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 05:20:13PM -0400, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > An often cited benefit of the /usr merge is the ability to put
3 > everything but /etc on NFS and for that reason, we need to force an
4 > initramfs on people happily using /usr without it.
5
6 This is not quite correct. The initramfs is required because of [1].
7
8 > Interestingly, the /usr merge changes made to genkernel permit us to
9 > mount /etc from a genkernel-built initramfs by putting /etc on a
10 > separate mount point in fstab and then doing `echo /etc >>
11 > /etc/initramfs.mounts`.
12
13 That doesn't negate putting /usr on nfs and making it possible for
14 different hosts to share it.
15
16 > Some people claim that the current approach is somehow broken by citing
17 > Bluetooth keyboards. However, what makes that work is adopting an
18 > initramfs and that does *not* require moving files into /usr. If people
19 > do not want an initramfs, they can simply not have a separate /usr. The
20 > /usr merge gives nothing to people using bluetooth while the /usr merge
21 > will break systems of non-bluetooth users.
22
23 I don't see what bluetooth has to do with anything other than with the
24 'separate usr is broken' document which is a separate issue.
25
26 > I have been told that moving everything into /usr would be easy for us
27 > because Arch Linux did it and they are a rolling distribution too. Arch
28 > Linux does all-or-nothing upgrades. They do not offer the ability for
29 > their users to choose to use older versions of software and we will not
30 > be able to move everything into /usr without breaking existing systems
31 > that boot without issues now.
32
33 This issue is not completely flushed out with the upstream folks for
34 udev yet, and either way, it will be addressed in our version of udev.
35
36 > I have also been told that the /usr merge is necessary because upstream
37 > will force it on us. Interestingly, most of @system on Gentoo Linux is
38 > GNU software, which would need to stop supporting things in / in order
39 > for that to happen. As far ass I know, systemd does not work on GNU HURD
40 > and it would be incapable of functioning if the GNU project made this
41 > change. Hell will freeze long before that happens.
42
43 This is basically not relevant since we do not support HURD.
44
45 > The only thing that might require a merge is systemd and it is not in
46 > @system. If we offered users the ability to choose rc systems, we would
47 > still be supporting baselayout-1's rc system. If we start now, we should
48 > bring that back.
49
50 We offer several rc systems in the tree, but I don't know how up to
51 date they are. Either way, bringing back bl1 is not a relevant
52 argument, because it is not compatible with OpenRC.
53
54 > With that said, there is a great deal of FUD being spread by the systemd
55 > developers and I see no reason for us to accept it. We would be breaking
56 > users' systems for no gain other than to make the systemd developers
57 > happy. Their refusal to permit udev to be built separately from systemd
58 > demonstrated complete disdain for Gentoo Linux. Why should we let them
59 > dictate how we design our distribution at our users' expense?
60
61 I think we can do the /usr merge in a way that won't break systems; I am
62 looking into that possibility. I am not interested in breaking systems.
63
64 > Lastly, don't tell me to read systemd's case for why we should break
65 > people's systems. I have read it and I find it flawed. There is
66 > absolutely no need for us to make this change.
67
68 Without elaboration on why you find their case flawed, this sounds
69 like the typical, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" argument.
70 While that has merrit, if there are advantages to doing
71 something, like I think there would be to doing the /usr merge, it may
72 be worth the transition, especially if we can make it as smooth as
73 possible.
74
75 William