From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: News Item: Portage Dynamic Deps
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 17:12:51
1 On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 8:40 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 01/24/2018 12:15 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >> On 01/23/2018 07:40 AM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
4 >>>>
5 >>>> Did you come up with a solution how to handle eclass-generated dependency
6 >>>> changes then?
7 >>>
8 >>> No.
9 >>>
10 >>> Bug #641346 was filed for clarification about this, but it just got
11 >>> closed without answering the question or consulting anyone.
12 >>>
13 >>> Now, every time we want to make a minor change we need to revbump half
14 >>> the tree due to a change that has been forced mostly by people not
15 >>> actually involved in any actual ebuild maintenance.
16 >>
17 >> You could always set "--dynamic-deps y" on your machine, and ignore the
18 >> breakage caused to end users (i.e. the situation last week).
19 >
20 > You mean the breakage caused by changing default options without any
21 > consultation or notification?
24 It would already be broken on any PMS-compliant package manager I
25 imagine. The goal is to make the repo and PMS align so that we're not
26 depending on non-PMS behavior. Either our ebuild policies ought to
27 change, or PMS ought to change. It is dumb to publish a specification
28 and then deliberately do things that break software that follows that
29 specification.
32 Rich