From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise resumed again (was Resignation)
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 01:42:15
1 On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 02:24:17AM +0200, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > On Monday 31 July 2006 07:05, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
3 > > OK, let's start with: what exactly is the problem?
4 > 1) Please reread my replies in the first sunrise thread. Points are:
5 1) no security,
6
7 Suggest you read their responses, and look into some of their material
8 (in particular their faq).
9
10 Two levels.
11
12 One, holding area (essentially).
13 Second level (what users get), is the reviewed branch.
14
15 So... if you're arguing people can stick malicious shit into the first
16 level, yes, they could.
17
18 I could also stick malicious code into bugzilla. If you're dumb
19 enough to run it without checking it, your own fault (both cases).
20
21 If you're arguing that malicious code gets stuck into reviewed... when
22 I was a dev, I could have very easily done the same thing.
23
24 Comes down to trust that they know what they're doing for the second
25 level- again, same situation for the gentoo-x86.
26
27 And... just cause I'm mildly sick of this bullshit, I'll head off
28 the retort of "but people with +w for gentoo-x86 have been passed
29 through the developer process, screening the malicious". Ayone
30 determined can punch through it without issue- *both* gentoo-x86 and
31 sunrise.
34 > 2) issues with eclass changes which will result in bug spam
35
36 You're not supposed to change the exposed api of eclasses in the tree
37 (something y'all do violate I might add, which is a seperate QA
38 matter). Same issue applies to the 'official' overlays offered by
39 devs also, and to the tree in general.
40
41 It's a reaching statement, bluntly. Using such an arguement has the
42 side affect of stating that no overlays should ever exist, because
43 they suffer the same potentials.
44
45 Which obviously is a bit of BS.
48 > 3) the fact that sunrise is a bunch of arbitrary packages, instead close related ones managed
49 > by one team, that does exactly maintain relevant packages.
50
51 What the hell do you think the tree is? It's a bunch of arbitrary
52 packages maintained loosely by subgroups of people; you're stating
53 that sunrise is too loose yet gentoo-x86 is fundamentally no
54 different.
55
56 Sunrise is pretty much the same damn thing.
59 > These issues are
60 > fundamental, pointed out multiple times. You can't believe how ridiculous
61 > Mike's question in the other thread, if there were any remaining issues,
62 > sound to me and obviously others.
63
64 Frankly, your points are assine/fud here. If you're going to bitch
65 about flaws inherent in the work _you_ also do, kindly at least state
66 it's universal rather then pawning it off as a sunrise specific
67 failing.
68
69 ~harring