From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] added Gentoo-HOWTO
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:01:55
1 Pete Gavin wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 06:03:52PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 > > sys-build is no longer used instead the packages listed in
5 > > current-packages.build are used together with the USE flags
6 > > "build" and "build-static".
7 >
8 > Ok, I've removed the reference to sys-build.
11 > > I don't think it is neccesary to add -gentoo to our patches.
12 > > Sometimes it is better to store patches without the ${PV} because
13 > > the same patch can be used for different versions.
14 > > Sometimes it is better to store patches in files/${PV} to keep the list
15 > > in files small.
16 >
17 > Hmm... Yeah, I guess the -gentoo isn't entirely necessary, but in
18 > certain cases, like when we update a kernel to a new version by using
19 > a patch (which would simply be called something like linux-2.4.1.diff)
20 > it *would* be necessary, and always using -gentoo would let others
21 > know that the diff contains *our* modifications to the source tree,
22 > instead of modifications we got somewhere else. And yes, if we have
23 > alot of files that go with an ebuild, we should put them in
24 > files/${PV}. I'll add that in to the howto. I think, though, that
25 > patches should not be used between multiple versions of an ebuild,
26 > because if they were, any changes/fixes that are made in the patch
27 > would automatically be back-ported to previous versions of the
28 > package. This totally defeats the purpose of having multiple revisions
29 > of a package.
33 > > How about creating a new package in app-doc and place the Gentoo-HOWTO
34 > > in there.
35 > >
36 > > I want to make a doc for the USE variables and this can be placed there
37 > > too.
38 > >
39 > > Daniel,
40 > >
41 > > What do you think about using docbook for these docs. The sgml-tools
42 > > should work quite well and we can produce the following output formates:
43 > > dvi html man pdf ps rtf tex texi txt.
44 > > We can add our own html-backend or an xml backend that can be used
45 > > for xslt transformation.
48 > I know next to nothing about docbook/sgml/etc. Does anyone know a good
49 > place to start learning about this?
50 >
51 > Pete
52
53 http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/HOWTO-HOWTO/